<font color="#808080">ANDERSON, Neal</font>

More Neal Anderson:    Federal Duck Stamp Print 

1948 - )

In Omaha, Nebraska, on May 27, 1948, Lloyd and Ann Anderson became the proud parents of Neal, the first of their three children. Lloyd was a career Air Force man, but during World War II he served in the infantry and was one of the survivors of the infamous Bataan Death March. Ann served as wife, mother, and coordinator of the family, making sure that everything ran smoothly.

As a youngster, Neal was constantly drawing. He learned the basics from a weekly 15-minute television program, "John Gnagy Learn to draw." However, the key influence on his style and subject matter was Walter Weber, staff artist for National Geographic Magazine. Weber's portrayal of wildlife and its surroundings impressed him enough to try to emulate Weber.

During high school, music played an equal role with art in Neal's life. He played drums in a rock band, and about three years after he graduated, he joined a standards band playing drums and doing most of the singing.

While still a senior in high school, he met Susie Piccolo, a senior at a parochial school nearby. Though opposites in many ways, they dated steadily and became serious in their intentions. However, immediately after high school, Neal enrolled in a commercial art course at Omaha Art School, Susie's family moved to Des Moines, and the two were separated for one and one-half years. Both Neal and Susie assumed that it was over between them until they met again, half by design and half by accident. It was love at first sight all over again, and a year later they were married. They currently have six children.

His first job as a family man was driving a delivery truck for a department store. He accepted that job knowing that one of the window display personnel was being drafted. The job he really wanted, doing window displays, would open up in two or three months. As luck would have it, three months after he was transferred to displays, the man who was drafted was discharged for medical reasons, and by law, the store was forced to reinstate him. Neal found himself working as an assistant manager in a candy factory for the next four and one-half years.

During this time he continued to play drums in a band. Dick Turpin, the guitar player, was also the Hunter's Safety Coordinator for the game commission of Nebraska. Dick acted as intermediary between Neal and NEBRASKALAND, the state hunting and fishing magazine, and Neal landed the responsibility of creating the series of animal paintings which graced the inside back cover of each issue.

In 1977 he and two other commercial artists decided to form a partnership. They worked out of the same studio and office, billed under the same name, but each had his own individual clients. Things went well for about eight years, but he soon found that his urge to continue painting wildlife was interfering with his commercial art responsibilities-or vice versa. In 1985 he was forced to choose between the two, and wildlife art prevailed.

Although painting is Neal's first love, he is a man of many interests. He likes almost anything that has to do with the out-of-doors. All members of his family are ardent fishermen, and they take family outings whenever possible. He hunts with both gun and bow and has been very successful at both.

Neal has had a lifelong fascination with airplanes and he attends as many air shows as time will allow. Although he does not hold a pilots license, he loves to fly in virtually any aircraft, large or small.

In 1993, Neal had a somewhat unique experience. Another Neal Anderson, famous running-back for the Chicago Bears football team, traded a jersey which he wore in a play-off game to Neal Anderson, wildlife artist, for one of his 1989 duck stamp prints.

Photography is another one of Neal's hobbies. He enjoys the challenge and need for expertise to obtain good reference photos for his paintings.

Russell Fink Gallery P. O. Box 250 Lorton, VA 22199
Voice: 703-550-9699 Fax: 703-339-6150