<font color="#808080">ANDERSON, Arthur G.</font>

More Arthur G. Anderson:    Federal Duck Stamp Print 

(1935 - )

When Arthur Anderson was of elementary school age, he often sat near his Uncle George and watched him paint landscapes. Although his uncle was a concert violinist with the Chicago Symphony, he was also a fine amateur artist. Arthur would watch by the hour, virtually mesmerized by the way the colors took form and a landscape slowly developed on the canvas.

One day, when Art was twelve years old, his uncle handed him the paint box with all its contents. "Here," he said. "It's a present. You can have it." The young boy was thrilled with the gift, but not in his wildest dreams could he have envisioned a career which would keep him close to the natural world he loved so much and eventually include winning the most sought-after trophy in the field of wildlife art.

Art was born on December 10, 1935, in Eau Claire, Wisconsin, the second of three boys. His father was a tool and dye maker and his mother a school teacher. Both parents stressed formal education (both his brothers are engineers), and were somewhat less than ecstatic when young Arthur showed a penchant for "drawing pictures."

Most of the members of his family hoped he would outgrow the phase and settle into something "solid," but the magnetism of the outdoor paintings by the renowned illustrators of that age - Jaques, Wilwerding, Bishop, Hunt, etc. - proved to be too great. However, the decision to pursue a career in art was not made without an inner struggle.

After graduating from high school, he enlisted in the Air Force partly because his patriotism surfaced, partly because he thought that maybe his peers were right and he should pursue a technical career, and partly because he knew he could use the G.I. Bill to further his education, art or otherwise.

His job with the Air Force-radar technician on F- 104's at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base-was definitely technical and scientific. Although he put in a credible performance as a technician, he often found himself drawing instead of studying.

In the summer of 1955, he wrangled a pass for the 4th of July weekend-just long enough to get home and marry his high school sweetheart, Virginia Nelson. Ultimately, they would raise a family of five boys and one girl.

After separation from the Air Force, Art attended the University of Wisconsin in Eau Claire. However, the art curriculum there was not the kind of art he wanted to pursue. He left the university in his sophomore year, determined to continue his education by trial, error and experience.

Russell Fink Gallery P. O. Box 250 Lorton, VA 22199
Voice: 703-550-9699 Fax: 703-339-6150